Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Edward Hopper

Edward Hopper is one of my favorite painters.  Depending on my mood, I'll look at his solitary figures and feel sometimes peaceful, sometimes alone.  I love the way he paints light.  I love the way he paints shade.

Each year, I receive an Edward Hopper calendar from one of my closest friends. 

Calendars and coffeetable books never show the exact colors and shadings of the real deal. So in spring 2008, I went to Chicago for the first time primarily to see the massive Hopper exhibit at the last of its three-city tour.  I had only seen one Hopper in person before then (in San Antonio's McNay), so I was excited to go.

The actual paintings were incredible, just wonderful.   May I also say that I was very happy to see all the crowds and long lines to get into the exhibit.  I was there toward the end of the Chicago stay, and asked one of the museum staff whether the lines had been that long the entire show.  He told me they had. 

That was very heartening.


No comments:

Post a Comment